Vegetable And Canellini bean soup
- VEGETABLE AND CANELLINI BEAN SOUP
- 1 can of Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced,
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tsp dried
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and hot chilli if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 11/2 Litres of chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan, optional
In a small bowl mash half of the beans with a fork and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth and tomatoes with the juice and bring to a boil for 20 minutes. Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
Serve topped with Parmesan, if desired